Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

“It was the same bus I got into every day, but that day as I sat down I sensed something was different.” – This narrative topic appeared in a Cambridge O’ Level Paper. As I announced this among other five topics in my O’ Level class while giving them their monthly test a few days back, Malik Zain approached me with an innocent question: “Can I open my story with the same line?” This evening, he dropped the text (in typed form) into my mailbox on Facebook asking for a little editing. The updated version was then considered for a blog post. Here you are. It, of course, is a story with lots of appeal. Do give it a read. It’s capable of keeping your minds hooked up till the end. I’m sure, you’ll enjoy the suspense --- its most luminous feature.



“It was the same bus I got into every day, but that day  as I sat down, I sensed something was different.”


It was the same bus I got into every day, but that day as I sat down, I sensed something was different. The bus driver seemed to be in a miserable condition; his clothes were dirty and ruffled as if he had not changed for days, and there was a deep cut blatantly visible on his face. The face also had a black scar on the left.
To my utter shock, that 35 years old man looked much older. Lost in his own thoughts, he was, unlike his usual attitude, quiet. As I sensed further, the entire atmosphere in the bus too looked gloomy. One more observation came into sight --- the fact that bus made sharp turns though he was usually an attentive driver. I was, perhaps, the only person who noticed that, as others were all either busy reading or murmuring something to one another.

Ali, the bus conductor, also looked different. In fact, everyone was acting differently. Unsurprisingly, I felt extremely uncomfortable with all that. All seemed deaf and dump.

Ali, in a few minutes, made a dart for the seat I was sharing with an old man. I could see it clearly that the young man was not in his usual spirits. I had my ticket in my right hand and as I handed it over to him, impatient, I inquired:

‘What’s wrong? Everything seems weird, abnormal as if it’s a vehicle carrying dead bodies.’

He smiled a smile that had no shine, no sign that used to be characteristic of his. In a depressed tone he replied:

 “Zaid’s (the driver) entire family is in the hospital. They met with a brutal accident last night. His mother and son are in a critical condition. So, he stands in dire need of money.”

“Oh, poor man!” I exclaimed with sorrow. “You see, he can’t stay with his family even at such a crucial time” he added. “Pal, can you be of some help? ...however small it might be, but do contribute something. And I urge you to do as much as you can.” He turned around and was soon out of my sight.

I was dumbfounded.  I did not even know how to react. I also had had bad times in my life, but I admit, that was the worst one could have. God forbid, I had never experienced anything like that. It was a nightmare. Fully aware of my financial condition, I sat there as if glued to my seat.

Suddenly, an idea flashed across my mind: Zambi. “Yes, Zambi’s the one who can help.”

Zambi, my first cousin, had just returned from the US with loads of money in his accounts and had started investing here and there wherever he found an opportunity to augment his wealth. My right hand slipped into my pocket arbitrarily. When it came out, it went straight to the right side of my face.

“Hi Sami, how’re you doing man?” Zambi’s voice struck my auditory senses. “Zambi, listen up…..”
------------------------------------

Soon enough, Zambi’s ever radiant, smiling face appeared at the hospital gate where I was all eyes for him. And that is how Zaid’s family was taken out of that ordeal.

---------------------------------------

Right a week after that incident, Zambi reached me on my cell one afternoon. He was overjoyed: “Hey Sami, you how much I spent on that guy’s family?”
hmmm.I don’t know exactly, but what’s the…”
“$15000 precisely” Zambi interrupted me.
“So…”
“So, the news is I got 10 times to that amount today. A hundred and fifty thousand dollars, believe you me.”
“Congrats dear” I stuttered.
“Not a bad bargain, is it?” He laughed out loud.
“Yes, it’s good. God…”
“Half is yours!” he didn’t let me finish.
“But…”
“I said it’s yours. You deserve every bit of this. You were the one who offered me that opportunity. I can’t be stingy now. It’d be unfair.”
“But…”
“We’re dining out this evening. Would let you know later. Bye!”
The call was disconnected. Speechless, I was left gazing into the air.  

Malik Zain
O’ Level Final Year
PakTurk Schools
Islamabad Branch

Malik Zain



9 comments:

  1. A great attempt indeed .. i must admit i was dumb founded with the topic .. it seemed so very boring and i myself couldn't think of other than a kidnapping scene etc. but this has a totally different aspect !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good story. Nice attempt man . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, dear - a sure source of encouragement for our dear Zain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. flawlessly attempted! I assure you that you'll get an A* if you keep writing like this

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing piece of writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna write a story for the same topic.
    I was standing outside my house wearing my school uniform. I was waiting for the bus and when the bus arrived i got into and it and sat on the same seat beside my friend on which i sat everyday. IT WAS THE SAME BUS I GOT INTO EVERYDAY BUT THAT DAY I SENSED SOMETHING WAS DIFFERENT. Everyone in the bus was scared and was having an occasional weirdness on their faces. Moreover, i asked my friend the reason for this but she haven't even replied. I was a bit frightened when i saw the condition of my friend.
    However, after a couple of minuted, i looked at the back of the bus unintentionally. I was that there were four persons wearing blck masks on their faces and those masks had fully covered their faces that no one could even recognize them. One of them were having a gun in this hand.
    It was a dead hilarious scene. Everyone in the bus was quite. No one even have the courage to stand and ask them who they are. However, we waited for our destination but i bus driver didn't stopped there. We were almost close to death.
    After a period of time the bus stopped at a place and our eyes were blindfolded. We stepped out of the bus in a line and then we were ordered to remove the blindfold.
    When we removed we saw that we were in an amusement park. We were shocked. When the persons wearing black masks removed the masks we saw that they werw our teachers. And they told us that its our trip day and they gave us a surprise. We were somehow very frightened but on the other hand we werw damn excited about our trip.
    Therefore, this was all a prank by our teachers which made this trip the most memorable one..

    ReplyDelete