Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

Response to a question on letter writing by Muhammad Arshiyan Khan of Class O’ Levels. The question was: "Write a letter to a friend inviting him to be in your team to represent your school in a general knowledge competition."

Muhammad Arshiyan Khan of Class O’ Levels

Task

You have been chosen to represent your school in a general knowledge competition. You must choose one friend to be in your team.

Write a letter to your friend inviting him or her to be in your team. You must include the following points:
  • When and where the competition will take place
  • A request to your friend to join you in the team
  • Why you think your friend is the best choice for your team
  • What preparation you should both do
  • Details of the prizes in the competition


Dear Obaid,

I hope you are having a pleasant winter break even though the snow is piling up. Since the school has been called off for a month none of us have (has) interacted with our teachers, but luckily I hooked on to Mr. James and enquired all the information regarding the upcoming district general knowledge competition we were told about. Mr. James said that Kwantlen College has been given the honors and will (…honors to host…) host the competition this time. He also told concluded that it will be a Friday the sixth, which is the week after the upcoming week (He also shared that it will be held on Friday, February 20, 2015).

I (have) heard that you were keen in (about) this competition (…competition, though luckily enough I’m the one who stood selected to represent our school).  I have given it a thought and it would be wonderful if you assisted me in the competition (would be wonderful if you could join me to be my team). You are an intelligent student and work hard too and (You are an intelligent and hard working student, so it would really be great to have someone like you by my side.) me being amongst the position holders we would make a great team. Obaid, I am pretty sure we can take home the award if go together. (….can take home the first prize if we join hands.)

The competition is not far so it would be excellent if we had a few days together and had a precise discussion on the whole matter. How about the upcoming weekend? Any day that is suitable for you, because I am not engaged in any activity and am bored at home any ways.
I forget to mention above that Mr. James also told me about the prizes and rewards of the competition (I can understand you must be waiting for the most exciting part of the story, that is, prizes. The competition is a big one and contenders are coming in numbers. They will give a ticket of two to Niagara fall as the reward which is worth it. The runner ups will receive a tour within the city. So, I am confident you will be a great asset and will be mindful to my request (….am confident that you will be delightfully ready to take a plunge).

Awaiting a fast and an enthusiastic response from your side

Yours sincerely, (Yours with love)
Muhammad Arshiyan Khan



2 comments: