Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

When a topic is announced in our class, particularly for story writing, boys struggle to come up with a story that could win the title of ‘model’ or ‘sample’ story for others around. Armughan turned out fastest in his response on the current topic this time, though his story was returned twice by the teacher telling him to justify a point at certain place. I wanted to see whether or not he’s intellectually strong enough to fill that gap that had marred beauty of the content. I’m delighted to see he has successfully removed that stain all by himself---that too with a single stroke of just one, single sentence i.e. without adding long details. Hence, it certainly is a ‘sample story’ on the topic “I couldn’t believe what my ears had just heard…”



I couldn't believe what my ears had just heard…

I couldn't believe what my ears had just heard. It was as if my sacrifice had gone down the drain. I was deeply regretting going against my parents' desire about marrying a girl of my locality, for the girl I had wanted to propose throughout my university life had announced of her engagement with someone else.
---------------------------------------------

I had travelled to Turkey as part of a student exchange program, and got enrolled in one of the engineering disciplines at Istanbul Technical University as per my ambitions. I was recognized as a leading light by classmates belonging to all sorts of ethnic backgrounds. However, one person who caught my attention was Meryem. Her father was one of the richest men in the country, but her manners showed that she was not a spoiled child. She was a friend of anyone in need, her modesty was exemplary and throughout university, we had grabbed many medals participating in competitions as a team.

I had never really pondered upon marriage until my final semester, when my parents informed me that I would be wed as soon as I touched Pakistan. At that point of time, I thought of Meryem as the best choice for a life partner. However, it took me over a month to muster up enough courage to travel to her house and ask her father for her hand. Her dad seemed displeased, and I was sent on my way back with rejection. Despite this, I assured myself that Meryem, unlike her father, would not be thinking so. But my hopes were shattered when I discovered next morning that Meryem's dad had gotten her engaged to a guy named Emre.

The writings in my diary mocked me, as if i had done something wrong. Was the rejection based on cultural differences between us? Or did Meryem never think of me as more than a friend? I was fished out of my thoughts by the ring of my cellphone; it was her father, inviting me to his daughter's marriage to be held a week later. I was already disheartened and so declined the invitation. "Let me remind you something, mister. I also happen to be the Director of Education, and if you fail to show up, you can kiss your degree goodbye." He broke out in his gruff voice. Meryem was one side, but I couldn't let my four years go to waste either. I had to accept the offer.

I arrived at the wedding location at the aforetold date and time, where I was received by her father. His stern eyes signaled me to pace towards the stage. I decided to abide by his orders without reasoning. Meryem was clad in a purple wedding gown with a matching headscarf. She glanced at me with her soft, pearly eyes, and her face lit up with a smile.

"Come sit with me. I've something to say."
She spoke out.

I hesitated, but she almost pleaded through the movement of her eyeballs in a meaningful way. So, I sat myself beside her, and she continued, “Although my father was unimpressed with your proposal, he still favored my opinion over his. I had longed for this day to come, when we would be partners not only for a competition, but for life; I accepted your proposal. In short, congratulations on our marriage! "
I was dumbfounded.

I had been invited to my own wedding and I didn't have a clue about it. I stared at her with confusion only to receive a mischievous, heavenly smile in return.
"But...but you had got engaged with someone?"
I stammered.

Her smile turned into a giggle, "It was all a prank! My dad and I made it all up! I hope you're not mad."
I was on seventh heaven. The prank was driving me mad. I was more than mad.

Armughan Aslam
O' Levels Final Year
PakTurk International Schools & Colleges
Islamabad Boys Campus

Armughan Aslam


No comments:

Post a Comment