Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

Zaid Waris of class O’ Level’s response to a question on letter writing. The question was: "Write a letter to a friend inviting him to be in your team to represent your school in a general knowledge competition."

Task
You have been chosen to represent your school in a general knowledge competition. You must choose one friend to be in your team.

Write a letter to your friend inviting him or her to be in your team. You must include the following points:
  • When and where the competition will take place
  • A request to your friend to join you in the team
  • Why you think your friend is the best choice for your team
  • What preparation you should both do
  • Details of the prizes in the competition



Dear Sohaib,

First of all, I seek apology for communicating this to you in such busy times of yours (It’s too formal. Make it sound informal.). May God help you in your ongoing academic exams. After all, as to explain my purpose for writing to you is to inform you that you that I stood selected by the school administration for inter-school general knowledge competition which is going the be held on the forthcoming Saturday, at the auditorium Allama Iqbal University, Islamabad. (As you will have finished your exams by the end of this week, it is high time to share with you about what we both can enjoy together. Firstly, be informed that I stood selected……..)

A team consists of three (two) Ordinary Level students. I wish you could be the part of our team. Because I and Armughan are not able to gather any more student for our team. So, we came to meet a single solution in the end; and that is to add you in our vacancy. Our selection for you is due to your vast experience in general knowledge competition as well as your good relations with Sir Hakan. (To be honest, when it comes to choosing someone to be my team, no one other than you popped in my head. It is due to your vast……..)

What we are going to do is quite meekly (…..is not something complicated), I am going to browse through the internet, and download and print each (bit of) relevant (information) to our subject as to memorize (so as to memorize) some of the general knowledge facts. Armughan is taking the responsibility to copy some general knowledge related facts from the university because his father is the (a) professor there. In the end (What all you have to do is) you just have to adjure (to request) Sir Hakan for some documents related to general knowledge. You could receive (If you could mange to grab) at least fifty (such) pages (from him, it would be an achievement) of information because he has got thousands of them.

We have got merely a week to prepare for the battle. There would be 16 teams to defend (to contest). You should (must) have been looking for the prizes throughout the letter. So, (So, here is the detail:) the third prize to the team  is Rs. 30,000 (the 3rd prize winning team will get Rs. 20,000); second position team will receive Rs. 60,000(the one with 2nd position will receive Rs. 35, 000) and the prize for the grand winners is Rs. 90,000 (and bumper prize for first position winning team is Rs. 50,000) will plus visit to USA for a week with the expenses paid (Not only this, it is coupled with one week visit to the US with all expenses paid).

I think you would not turn my request down (I am sure you will not turn my request down) and I am very serious for your participation (With you sitting by my side I’m sure to hit the 1st prize). So, please do not aggrieve me by repudiating my request. I shall be waiting for your reply (I’m all eyes to see a positive response).

Yours very lovingly
Zaid Waris


No comments:

Post a Comment