Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

'Water Shortage' - A Story by Abdullah Nawaz Khan of O’ Levels 2nd Year at PakTurk International Schools, Chak Shahzad Campus, Islamabad


The year was 2020. Global warming was now a long forgotten myth, but the water shortage had decreased seas to puddles. Liquid water was now a forlorn thing. There was a water shortage on the planet earth. Seas were drying up. Now water was the most expensive thing in the world. People were calling it the Apocalypse.

I was then living in Karachi, a coastal area of Pakistan. The volume of the Arabian Sea was now half of what it was before the shortage, but still sufficient. I had thought that the Arabian Sea would soon fully dry up,  so I started saving water. I tried telling people to start saving water rather than wasting it, but sadly enough, they arrogantly ignored my advice. And soon I was proved right. The Arabian Sea was totally finished. There was no sign of water anywhere.

The rich migrated to other countries in search of water, and the rest were forced to find other means of surviving – which meant that they had to live a nomadic life in a constant search for water. I gave them all the water that I could. I was sure that the travelers wouldn’t make it, so I refused to accompany them, and soon I was the only life form left in the lifeless desert of Karachi. My reservoir was enough to fulfil my requirements for a year or so, but after that, I too was at the mercy of nature.

Days passed slowly. My huge reservoir started decreasing. I would take a daily walk through the streets of Karachi in search of a new source of water.

One day, while on my routine round, I found a man half-dead of thirst. I dragged him back to my reservoir and realized that I had only a few litres left. I could have ignored him and let him die, but I just couldn’t get myself to think that way.

I went outside and gave that man all the water I had. He slowly gained consciousness and told me he was a traveler. As soon as dusk fell, he left.

Now I had no water left and my body was going dehydrating faster than usual. I thought about what other options I had left. I soon started feeling weak. I grabbed my water bottle and went off once again in search of water. I knew full well that there was no one except occasional travelers. After a while of roaming, I slowly drifted to unconsciousness. It was peaceful, and blissful.

I saw lights. I opened my eyes to find myself in a helicopter. To my surprise, sitting next to me was the man whom I had helped. I learnt that he was a millionaire who had wandered into Karachi in search of survivors, but had almost died himself. Now, he was the one who was taking me to water.

He took me to the northern mountains where most of the world’s water was stored as glaciers. I was taken care of and was even given a home by the community there. I finally realized that the good does get rewarded.

Abdullah nawaz khan's profile photo

Abdullah Nawaz Khan
O’ Levels 2nd Year
PakTurk International Schools
Chak Shahzad Campus
Islamabad

No comments:

Post a Comment