Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

And now a story by Esa Bin Qasim of class O’ Level final year at PakTurk that left the entire class speechless. See for yourself.



……as if my sacrifice had no worth, no value….                      

I was aroused by a crackling sound of a snowstorm. Bearing the cold, I swept out of my bedroom. Glancing out of the window, I noticed the world covered in a thick layer of snow. A stormy wind blew across the city and people were snowbound in their houses for the whole of winter season.

Still looking out of the window I hoped that the sun would peek out one day and melt away the dirty slush. Suddenly, a girl stuck in the frigid climate in the middle of the street caught my eye. Her feet buried deep in the snow, she looked helpless; it seemed as if her feet had frozen at that place.

No one was around to help this poor little girl. I was worried as what to do. My body shivered and my heart beat furiously as I had never experienced getting out into the freezing snow. Feeling extremely shocked and restless, I kept moving here and there for a while. It was not long before I finally made up my mind to save her life. I quickly bundled myself in heavy boots and a warm jacket as if preparing for a violent, aggressive fight to be fought in a battle field. I looked out of the window for the final time; she was exactly in the same position. I dashed for the back door. “If she stays there for a little longer, she will soon be dead,” I thought.

As I opened the door, an icy breeze rustled through the door; it passed over my head as if forcing me to stay in. However, I mustered up enough courage and I was soon busy dragging my feet through thick snow with a burning desire inside to reach the spot where the girl was so that to help her come out of that trauma. “She might get frostbite,” I felt dreaded at the thought. As I neared her, I noticed that her body had got awkwardly bigger than it had appeared from a distance.

Finally, when I hit the place where she was, I sensed something was wrong. She was neither crying, nor responding to a man who had literally risked his life for her sake. She stood motionless as if my sacrifice had no worth, no value for her. My heart sank at her attitude. “She doesn’t appear to be a warm hearted soul” I thought feeling dismayed. “But it’s also possible that she may not be in a position to express any emotions having been in such an abnormal condition,” I pacified my heart.

And there I was --- at a distance of just three feet. I stepped forward, and stretched out my arm to ask for her hand. “Oh My…!” I was struck with utter dismay. I yelped at what I had just discovered. It was the shock of my life, since the girl was merely a snowman. 

Essa Bin Qasim

O’ Levels Final Year

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment