Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Please welcome Shaaref Munir's debut appearance on the blog with his story “The Walking Dead”. Hopefully, you all will find it fairly crispy stuff.



The Walking Dead

We were petrified when we peered outside the window. It seemed as if even the howling winds of the blizzard could not stop their crusade in our street. A single blow would wipe out the entire group but no one could’ve ever imagined that the Walking Dead could have the strength to get up again to diminish their starvation. Stunned, my brother and I, Haares, looked at each other with our eyes wide open and hoped for a rescue…

A rumor was spread a few months ago through the Internet and radio about a new deadly virus that had spread throughout the world like wildfire. It gave the victim a serious flu for a week that slowly drained the life out of him and eventually killed him. Then came the serious part: the victim now slowly turned grayish and turned into a meat-eating zombie, but everyone called them “Walkers”. It was also said that the virus could be transmitted through any bleeding wound or if a Walker had bitten or scratched anyone.

At first we didn’t believe the rumor either as it was too exaggerating, but then later on we saw our own parents becoming the prey to this vicious predator. We couldn’t finish them off so we had to lock them inside our store room. I can still hear them moaning, but I’m helpless, though it is inexplicably painful an experience.

The earth is now a world full of dead continents with only a few thousands of survivors left who too are busy striving for the protection of themselves and their children. Luckily, my brother and I are one of them.

“Hey, Bro. Snap out of it! We’re short on supplies and I just ate the last of the cupcakes. What shall we do?” asked Haares restlessly.

I was still in a mini trauma by glancing at what the Walkers could do to satisfy their needs, but when Haares slapped me on the back of my head, I finally understood what was happening in the chilly air.

In whatever conscience I had, I replied, “Gear up, Haares. We’re going on a hunt.”

Haares smiled and hugged me as if everything was going to be alright and it did give me a very pleasant feeling. Soon when everything started to feel good, I heard a noise of glass breaking frequently from the lobby and then I heard Haares scream, “SHAAREF! HELP! WALKER! AAGH MY LEG! HURRY!”

Shaaref Munir
O’Levels Final Year
PakTurk International School & College
Islamabad

Shaaref Munir



No comments:

Post a Comment