Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

“How I wish I could ever thank her…” - A beautiful short story by Hassan Bukhari of class O' Level Final Year at Pakturk Schools Islamabad Branch


How I wish I could ever thank her…

With my eyeballs popping out of my sockets, I shouted out a huge big Thank you God and the next moment I slumped into my chair. 

How could I ever thank her enough?!

I remembered how the mixed feelings of happiness and shock had overcome me. I examined the letter thrice reading it thoroughly each time, only then could I believe my eyes.

It took me some never-ending minutes to realize how Lauren had been a blessing in disguise. After all, we had collided only once and all I knew was that she had newly moved into the town and that her name was Lauren Bacliff. She had appeared out of the bue. Yet she turned out to be my last anticipation.

Three years ago, our institute had a visitor; She dropped out of an old sturdy Volks Wagon. Our guest had an ancient face with an inexplicable grimness on her lips. Hence, she wasn’t a pleasant beholding, yet I accompanied her around the building with a brief survey, repeating every single word I had been vomiting out for the last two weeks. It was all part of the fund-raising campaign.  My research institute needed some dough in order to avoid bankruptcy and to pursue the research. By the time we were already done for, the employees had almost become volunteers earning practically nothing but dragging on , hoping that the days would turn around. We had a conviction that our lucky moment was not very distant.

The Old lady left the building like many others, not saying much or showing a positive attitude. It was hopeless but for two desperate weeks I continued. After one such hard dawn-to-dusk session, I sat in my office when the secretary rushed in with an anonymous letter clutched in her snowy white hands. She stood by my side as I opened the envelope.

God, please let it be the one, she mumbled.
I read the letter with utmost silence , read it over and over again until the racket silence was broken by the secretary again.

Well ?? she fidgeted.

Not knowing what to do and how to react, I sprang up and then hugged her frantically. Shouting hysterically: “We did it! You know, it’s a $60 million dollar bill!! --- left to us by Lauren Bacliff”.
Shocked, she just stared at me. We were left with an arm and a leg.

She had left us her fortune in her will before she breathed her last two days back. No traces attached and no explanations.

How I I wish I could ever thank her for this!

Hassan Bukhari



No comments:

Post a Comment