Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Enjoy another piece of creative writing by Mahd Ahmad Fayyaz. See the thrill he's created in his present attempt at a topic on 'descriptive narrative'.

Narrate a frightening experience that you had.


Life is brimful of occurrences, frightening as well as pleasant ones. Last month, I experienced something frightening which haunts me to this very day.

I had been playing cricket with my brother on a pleasant day with some feathery white clouds drifting over the azure sky. It was all normal until I hit a six and the ball went over the wall and into the field.

As soon as I saw the ball accelerate and go over the wall, I understood I was in deep trouble. I, accompanied by my brother, climbed up the wall and made my way to where I had last seen the ball. We tried spotting the ball from the wall but in vain. At last, I mustered up the strength and jumped into the field. I was soon neck-deep in grass from all sides.

After searching for a good fifteen minutes, I decided all effort was futile and that the ball was lost to the grass now. As I made my way back, I stepped on something firm – the ball. I gave a relieved sigh and stooped to pick it up. The next things I heard were a rope snapping by force and my brother’s frightened cry, “run!”

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, the ball firmly clasped in my hand. The horrid creature had almost descended upon me – just within pouncing distance. I quickly threw the ball to my brother and climbed the wall. Now I looked down. To my horror, there stood a growling dog with my left shoe clung firmly between its jaws. I thanked God for saving me and went home with my brother.

Mahd Ahmed Fayyaz
O' Levels 2nd year
Mahd Ahmed Fayyaz

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the part when you described the dog as "The horrid creature had almost descended upon me – just within pouncing distance". I was like,what is it ? And in the end it turned out to be a dog. You managed the suspense really well and made good use of obscurity in the essay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mahd did maintain suspense till the end. :) Thank you for the comment, dear Ahmer! Appreciating fellows' work serves as a huge source of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete